how to setup fc3 to ssh from remote server

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Apr 27 20:01:12 UTC 2005

Charles Li wrote:
> --- Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
>
>>Charles Li wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>When I try to ssh in the fc3 from another server,
>>
>>it
>>
>>>gives me this error:
>>>[server]$ ssh -X fc3-server
>>>ssh: connect to address fc3-server port 22: No
>>
>>route
>>
>>>to host
>>>
>>>When do I need to start up?
>>
>>Is "fc3-server" in your /etc/hosts file or
>>resolvable via DNS?  Can
>>you ping it?  Do you have a default gateway
>>configured that can get at
>>it?
>>
  > I can ping the fc3-server from the server (S1) that I
> can issuing the ssh.

You didn't say if you can ping it by name or IP only.  We need to know
that.

> fc3-server is not in the S1's /etc/hosts.

If pinging via the IP address works, but pinging via the hostname
doesn't, you either need to enter the IP and hostname into /etc/hosts or
make sure there are appropriate records in your DNS service.

> How do I check whether fc3-server is resolvable via
> DNS, and also the gateway?

To check DNS, "# dig fc3-server".  See if you get an address back.

Since you can ping it one way or the other, the gateway is probably OK.
-      "Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi.       -
-  Unfortunately they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to  -
-               do their programming."  -- Simon Slavin              -