how do I set 'home' for root

hackmiester hackmiester at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 22:40:28 UTC 2005

Or it could be that you have sh as Mr. Root's default shell. Change it,
although I forgot how.
Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 23:34 +0300, Bogdan Rotariu wrote:
>> Claude Jones wrote:
>>> It's a long story, but I have pretty crippled system right now,
>>> including a messed up root user.
>>> When I su in a Bash terminal, instead of getting my usual prompt I
>>> get something quite different, and if I try to run a command, it
>>> aborts with an error like this:
>>>
>>> cj at viewridgeproductions2 misc]$ su
>>> Password:
>>> sh-3.00# kcontrol
>>> Aborting. $HOME is not set.
>>> sh-3.00#
>>>
>>> So root is lost - can someone help me tell it how to 'phone home'?
>>> I was wondering why I was getting the strange 'sh-3.00#' prompt in
>>> the third line where I used to get 'root at viewridgeproductions2 ]$'
>>> I think lines 4 and 5 are my clue, but I don't how to fix this, or
>>> for that matter, how it got into this state.
>>

> It looks like you are in a single-user or maintenance shell.
>
> You should be able to do a "su - root" in that shell and get all of
> root's environment restored and then be able to function.
>
> This type of problem is why some of us tear our hair out when things
> go wrong.
>
>> try doing the su - user
>> with the - so it can run .bash_profile and other shell related
>> config files. if that doesnt work to try to export HOME=~
>> or export HOME=/home/username
>>

> to set the $HOME for root a simple "export HOME=/root" should do.

-hackmiester
This is a test of the Really Sucky Email Client system. Again, this is
only a test. (Outlook is the only client that will sync with my Palm...)