Xine vs. Mplayer

Wolfgang Gill wolfgang at rpi.net.au
Thu Apr 28 06:53:38 UTC 2005

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 23:36:09 -0500, Charles Malespin wrote
> Hi all,
>    I am pretty new to FC3 and am have a question about video
> players.  I am currently using Xine and it works ok, but I cant play
> wvm videos among other little problems I have with it.  I saw that
> Mplayer does play wvm videos and I wanna give it a try.  Is one
> better than the other, or is it just personal pref?  I currently
> have Firefox using Xine to open video links, how do I go in and make
> Mplayer my default video viewer(please try and make it as easy as
> possible for a noob...) and is there anything that I lose by
> switching to Mplayer?  Do I need to get rid of Xine from my computer,
>  and if so how(again simple please, I am having trouble locating
> files and which files are what still..)? Thanks in advance! Charles
[snip]

If you go here..
http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/codecs.html

And download the 'ALL' file (All codecs which is around 12MB's) and extract
it to the /usr/lib/win32 (Or the README say's /usr/local/lib/win32)
directory, then Xine will play *.wvm files and many other formats. Once you
have done that it will pretty much play them all.

The README will explain a little more as to where to put these codec files.
I found that once you have done this Xine works very well. (I know these
were intended for Mplayer, but they work equally well with Xine)

Wolf