Apt-get equivalent in fedora

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 13:43:03 UTC 2005

Chris Jones wrote:

>> Strange. up2date isn't able to connect to the rhn website, and when I
>> go the the website myself, I see there a login page but anyway I'll
>> try yum or would install apt-get
>

> I recommend you ditch up2date and switch to another tool such as yum or
> apt-get (if you want guis, these are also available such as kyum for yum
> and synaptic for apt-get.). Up2date has always proved rather unreliable
> for me.

The only reason why I would want a GUI is to aid in browsing available
packages. For simple updates to existing packages, I don't need a GUI. I
just type "yum -y update" (as a SUperuser, of course) and if it can find
packages to update, it does its job, and a lot more smoothly than
up2date ever did. (It also shows me what it's doing while it does it.)

But when I want to know what packages are available, I have a problem.
If I list them in a terminal window, the list will shoot off the
scale--and backward scrolling of a terminal window sometimes doesn't
work right. (Is that an X issue, or something else I can fix?) The GUI
would at least let me browse a list, look at its description, and decide
whether to take it or not. That's why I liked synaptic so much--before
the new apt package on at-stable broke it. (Axel has a fix, I
understand, but at last report it's in  "bleeding.")

Is kyum the GUI for KDE? What GUI's are available for yum in Gnome?

Temlakos