Can't access mysql via Webmin or PhpMyAdmin.

Mark Sargent powderkeg at snow.email.ne.jp
Fri Apr 29 06:16:21 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I can start mysql with the following cmd,

/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql start

although, I had to change

bindir=./bin

bindir=/usr/local/mysql/bin

to get it to work. I can access the DB with,

mysql -h localhost -u root -p

successfully, but, when trying to access via phpmyadmin or webmin it
doesn't work. I've set the config files to what I believe are correct.

phpmyadmin error below,

Error

*MySQL said: *Documentation
<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Error-returns.html>

| #2002 - Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

I've got user as root and no password, as I haven't set 1 yet. Why am I
getting this.? Anyone seen this before.?

With webmin, I get this displayed,

|*MySQL is not running on your system - database list could not be
retrieved.

*Click this button to start the MySQL database server on your system
with the command /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql start. This Webmin module cannot
administer the database until it is started.

even though the server is running, confirmed with the following,

root at localhost ~]# ps -uxwww | grep mysql
Warning: bad syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See
/usr/share/doc/procps-3.2.3/FAQ
root      4640  0.0  0.2  4180 1116 ?        S    14:19   0:00 /bin/sh
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe --datadir=/var/lib/mysql
--pid-file=/var/lib/mysql/localhost.localdomain.pid
root      4771  0.0  0.0  1580  124 pts/2    R+   14:36   0:00 grep mysql

Is anyone on here running webmin to manage mysql..? I'm curious how you
got it to run..? If I stop the server via cli and then click the start
mysql server button on the webmin page, it goes back to the same
message, but, the server is started. I changed the config module page to
reflect my installation. What have I missed, perhaps..?  Cheers.

below is the config of webmin mysql module,

*Path to mysqlshow command*     /usr/bin/mysqlshow
*Path to mysqladmin command*     /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin
*Path to mysql command*     /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql
*Path to mysqldump command*     /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqldump
*Path to mysqlimport command*     /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqlimport
*Command to start MySQL server* /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql start
*Command to stop MySQL server*     /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql stop
*Path to MySQL shared libraries directory*
*Path to MySQL databases directory* /var/lib/mysql

Mark Sargent.