heeey isnt this a rip off????

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Apr 29 12:44:31 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 08:22:32AM -0400, Jeff Kinz wrote:
> I could trademark the name "fedora" to use with my new special kite
> design. As long as it doesn't cause confusion with any existing trademark
> used of "fedora" its allowable.

I'm not a lawyer, but as I understand it, it's more specific than that --
there's 45 classes of goods and services, and the same trademark can be in
different categories without clashing, but not within the same one:
<http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/tac/tmfaq.htm#Application018>

(Unless the trademark is "famous", in which case it's good across all
classes. Hence, no "Coca Cola Linux".)