Re: [OT] Changing the case of filenames

David Niemi wrote:
I am running a fortran program which requires all input file names to be
uppercase.  As things were originally done in Windo$e all the filenames
are mixed case (with numbers).

Searching around I came across the "tr" command, but my difficulty comes
in trying to use this from the command line (or even in a bash script).

mv * | tr [a-z] [A-Z]

Does not work as mv requires a directory for the objective with multiple
files.  All of the scripts that I have seen are mainly for changing the
case of text in a text file so wouldn't work for me.

So, how would I do this?

You could use a script like this one:

#!/bin/sh
for f in *
do
        F="`echo $f | tr a-z A-Z`"
        echo Renaming \"$f\" to \"$F\"
	mv "$f" "$F"
done

That would rename all files in the current directory where you run it from.

Paul.