installing rpms from yum

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Fri Apr 29 14:22:05 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 08:49:06AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 12:36:27PM +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > If you want to install RPMs you've downloaded yourself, just use rpm to
> > install them:
> > # rpm -Uvh your.first.downloaded.rpm your.second.downloaded.rpm ...
>
> FWIW, the develop version of yum can work on local downloaded files too,
> which is nice if you've missed some dependencies.
>
> --
> Matthew Miller           mattdm at mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
> Boston University Linux      ------>                <http://linux.bu.edu/>
> Current office temperature: 72 degrees Fahrenheit.

However if you want yum to install files found on your machine they
have to be in a directory hierarchy that corresposnds to the one laid
out in the yum.conf file. Usually to avoid confusion I make the
hierarchy the same as that in the repository the files came from.

It's no use crying over spilt milk -- it only makes it salty for the cat.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.