Realtime traceroute

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Aug 1 19:50:37 UTC 2005

--On Saturday, July 30, 2005 10:59 PM -0400 Tony Nelson
<tonynelson at georgeanelson.com> wrote:

> Smaller MTU for everything on the LAN might help.  It would lower
> throughput some but decrease response time.

Interesting idea. I'll look into that.

> If you're using DSL, you do know that it comes in two flavors, Interleave
> and Fast Path.

Alas, this is cable. I'd love to get Linux-friendly SpeakEasy but I'm in
older housing that's too far from the CO. But thanks for the enlightenment
about Interleave vs. Fast Path. Something to consider if they ever get one
of those "CO's in a box" installed in the street closer to my home.

> Try disabling the QOS stuff.  Dropping packets or delaying them to
> throttle TCP is one way to implement QOS traffic shaping.  (Not that it
> should need to do anything to ICMP packets, but what do I know?)

I believe it's using the Wondershaper from http://lartc.org/. Shaping is
done outbound, policing inbound. Shaping is done by setting the actual
outbound bandwidth and not submitting packets to the interface faster than
that. That way they don't queue up in the modem but instead in the Linux
HTB buffers where they can get prioritized. Once the packets are beyond my
router, I can no longer guarantee that my game packets get to skip the line.