FC4 and hostname

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Tue Aug 2 20:49:04 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Truls Gulbrandsen wrote:

> Hi,
> I have FC4 installed incl. the most resent updates on an IBM TP30.
>
> I am trying to give the PC a new name using 'hostname'.  It works in a
> way but after having entered the command I am unable to load 'terminal'
> and 'network'.

I do not understand what you mean by load Terminal and network but see below.

> I go alt-crtl-f1 and log in and find that the new name is the, when
> exiting I find the 'terminal'window open.
>
> I have done the same operation on this machine running FC3 with the most
> resent updates (an IBM TP23) and works fine.
>
> Anyone with a solution to this problem?

1. Do "hostname new_hostname" as root.
2. edit the HOSTNAME parameter in /etc/sysconfig/network
3. edit /etc/hosts to reflect the new hostname
4. restart syslog or if you want to be windoze like reboot (not necessary)

and all should be well. I am sure there is a gui thingy to do this also
but it would be a waste of my time to figure out which one. :-)

You could also search the archives. This has been discussed MANY times.

HTH,

Tom