making Samba work [Solved]

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Wed Aug 3 16:01:41 UTC 2005

Am Mi, den 03.08.2005 schrieb Claude Jones um 3:55:

> > It explains why "smbclient -L StudyPC" did lead you to the foreign host.
> > Why did you set "search com"? Anyway, has nothing to do with Samba or
> > your setup problems at all.
> >

> I didn't set that - it's either a default setting, or it got set by my doing
> something without the slightest idea that the effect was that I was changing
> that setting....

Probably you did specify "com" as your domain part and the Fedora tools
then add it as search entry to resolv.conf. If your domain used in the
LAN is "levitjames.com" instead you should change the "search" entry
accordingly to be "search levitjames.com". So hosts like
"studypc.levitjames.com" will be found by short hostname "studypc".

> actually pretty careful when I mess with settings... According to your quote
> below, 'auto' should not have resulted in the above message, anyway.

No, "server signing" makes only sense if with other security setups. So
the error message is valid, but the setting should do no harm besides
filling the log.

> > Again, to exclude problems like iptables blocking make sure "smbclient"
> > and "smbstatus" on localhost gives proper results.
>
> I tried this, but the clues left me clueless - however, you gave me an idea...
> I created a new rule on my firewall, permitting ALL traffic between the inside
> NIC and the Lan in BOTH directions. PRESTO - everything works now. So, the
> question is, which additional port do I have to open up to make this all
> work? Before opening all, I had 137   tcp/udp, 138   tcp/udp, 139   tcp,
> 445   tcp/udp open. Can someone tell what I'm missing?

137/udp, 138/udp, 139/tcp and 445/tcp are enough. Maybe something with
the logic of your iptables ruleset is not like it should be? Could be
helpful if you show us your ruleset from /etc/sysconfig/iptables or how
you did it different.

Btw. it can be helpful to run a WINS in your network if you see that it
takes long time (up to 12 minutes) until SMB hosts like the Samba
machine appear in network browsing.

> The problem with your advice, Alexander, is that it's good; but you make
> people work for the knowledge for themselves - I appreciate that ;-)

:-)) Of course I always like to hear if a suggestion or hint was target
leading.

What you describe seems to be the case for all remote help without
direct access to the trouble system. Helping to find a straight way to
the point, excluding non issues quickly. Some sort of minesweeping going
in most closest circles around the objects.

> Claude Jones

Alexander

Serendipity 17:41:14 up 18 days, 22:13, load average: 0.11, 0.17, 0.20