US Federal Government to require MSIE for copyright preregistration

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Aug 5 22:56:58 UTC 2005

--On Friday, August 05, 2005 7:34 PM +0300 Dotan Cohen
<dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> What critical function is that activeX doing that cannot be done in a
> compliant way? Is that feature so critical that if it is not done,
> then the app cannot perforn it's intended function? Is there an
> activeX control so critical, that if Microsoft had not invented it,
> that online preregistration would not be possible?

Note that I didn't say they were using ActiveX as justification for
requiring IE. I was merely speculating that it could be a possible reason.
If so, it's a dumb one.

Another possible reason is that the site depends on bugs in IE, or that a
browser that complies with more recent CSS standards could break the
(broken) layout that IE recognizes.