Cable Select vs. Master/slave settings

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 8 21:31:12 UTC 2005

Claude Jones wrote:
> On Sun August 7 2005 1:06 pm, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>Just reporting something that came up in postings earlier regarding
>>cable select settings vs. setting the jumpers on the devices, I tried
>>cable select on my drives because I wanted to swap the primary CDROM
>>with the Secondary DVD burner. The jumpers set to master / slave worked
>>fine when the CDROM which is on the secondary of the cable select cable.
>>The CDROM was set to master, While the DVD was on the master of the
>>cable select cable.
>>When I changed the DVD to master and set the CDROM to slave. both set to
>>the same position on the cable select cable, the devices dd not become
>>recognized correctly. (CDROM on secondary, DVD on primary)
>>Changing the devices to both cable select allowed the DVD to be master
>>and the CDROM burner to be slave as desired.
>>
>>This is sort of a retraction and a note that jumper selection settings
>>on a cable select IDE cable can cause trouble, primarily with the
>>secondary connector on the cable selectable IDE cable.
>>

> I see all sorts of declarative statements on this subject, here, and they are
> generally wrong. One thing I do in my job is hardware maintenance for a large

[snip]

> well...., work. If you have a cable select cable, jumper your devices "cs" -
> if you have a standard non-cs cable, jumper your devices master/slave. Follow
> this convention, and you won't have problems - I'd be willing to bet that
> everyone who's declared that you should ignore these protocols, and always
> jumper master/slave, or some other variation on this argument, have simply
> been lucky - they are victims  who just haven't been bit, ............., yet!

You would lose your bet. I advise against cable select, *ALWAYS*.

IMO, cable select is EVIL.

When I advise against using cable select I presume that
the person doing the setup would not use "mix-n-match"
as you suggest.

I can't imagine anyone suggesting "mix-n-match".

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.