FC4 and external hard drive (USB)

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 9 16:26:55 UTC 2005

Jonathan Berry wrote:
> On 8/7/05, J.Underwood <J.Underwood at open.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>> I am considering purchasing a USB hard drive to use with a FC4
>> system.
I am currently considering one of the Lacie 80 GB models, and was
wondering if anyone had any comments on how well supported these types
of devices are with FC4?

[rewrapped]

>>Cheers,
>>
>>Jonathan
>

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Nice name ;).  I would highly suggest that you consider buying a hard
> drive enclosure and an internal drive to go in it.  I think you can
> get a lot more for your money that way, and you can have more control
> over the kind of enclosure you get.  An enclosure will cost you about
> $30 - $40 probably and then you can use an internal drive which are
> generally much less expensive, especially if you don't mind rebates.

[snip]

Interesting idea. What is your cabling setup? How do you power?
In my experience, modern drives don't have much problems with
heat, unless they are exercised a lot. I have a USB drive which
is covered in papers on my desk, and it never gets very hot.

USB 2 is not all that slow, however.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.