Cable Select vs. Master/slave settings

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 9 17:03:08 UTC 2005

Claude Jones wrote:
> On Tue August 9 2005 11:10 am, Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>Claude Jones wrote:

>>>The operative here is that 'yet' just above your declaration...
>>
>>Good point! :-)
>>

> Ok - final point, since you did seem to pull back what from seemed to be
> turning into a mud-sling. My experience has been, also after a very long
> frustrating diagnostic session on a mission critical pc, that it is possible
> to jumper m/s the drives, using a cs cable, and it NOT work - In fact, if
> you'd been present during that session, you'd have lost the bet.

Erm, no I wouldn't. I'd have looked in, seen the C/S cable and
immediately tossed it, and put in a good non-C/S cable.

:-)

> There are standards, and there are standards, as you rightly point out, and
> much equipment is produced in complete violation of same - now why that
> particular instance occurred for me at that time, is lost to history, but it
> happened, and was formative in my reaching my current methods of operation.

Reinforeces my belief that C/S cables are for the birds.

> We only purchase name brand cables here because our business depends on them
> and with over 50 pc's to keep running, it's not a luxury to keep out cheap
> crap, but a necessity. Poor quality components always cost more in down-time
> than we save. So, if a PC comes in with issues I suspect may be jumper/cable

I think everyone who deals with machines on a business basis
agrees with this.

[snip]

(Never could let anyone have the last word :-)

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.