openldap incompatibility between FC1 and FC4

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Wed Aug 10 04:33:03 UTC 2005

Hello,

I just upgraded a server from FC1 to FC4 in one swell foop.  I
reformatted /tmp, /var, /usr, /boot, and /, leaving /home, /opt, and
/usr/local alone.  All on separate partitions and all with known good
tape backups, of course!

openldap authentication is not working.  I've tried two things:

1.  I had a backup.ldif file made earlier with the command
          ldapsearch -x -b dc=example,dc=com \* > backup.ldif
So I tried restoring it with
          ldapadd -x -W -D cn=manager,dc=example,dc=com -f backup.ldif
Which appeared to work with the messages I generally expect.

2. I simply copied all of the files from a backup of /var/lib/ldap on
the old setup to the new one.

In both cases, the command
         ldapsearch -x -b dc=example,dc=com \*
returns only one entry, the root of the tree, whereas before it returned
every entry in the database.  "getent passwd" also only shows the actual
entries in /etc/passwd, not the passwd entries in the LDAP database.
The passwd line in /etc/nsswitch.conf reads
    passwd: files ldap
as it should.

Have I mentioned that LDAP is one of the hardest, most confusing things
in the Linux universe to get and keep working?  NIS/NIS+ was a breeze by
comparison.