explanation of yum.cron + a little frustration.

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Aug 16 15:02:36 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:

>> I don't see any reason to treat yum any differently
>> from the other entries in /etc/cron.daily , like logrotate and tetex.
>
> Neither of these provide a convenient way to disable/reenable the cron
> job whilst retaining all other functionality. Many people don't want yum
> to run from cron but do want to retain yum functionality for manual
> operations. I really don't see a problem with the way this works

I don't follow your reasoning.
Personally, I either want to run "yum update" nightly,
in which case I would like an entry in /etc/cron.daily/ ,
or I want to run "yum update" manually,
in which case I don't want an entry in /etc/cron.daily/ .

It's not the sort of thing I would want to switch on and off very often.

It's not the end of the world,
but IMHO it is another unnecessary accretion to linux administration
which already has too much spaghetti in it.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366