synaptics driver not loaded

kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com
Tue Aug 16 21:00:37 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 14:36, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com wrote:
> > On Tuesday 16 August 2005 12:05, Paul Howarth wrote:

> >> Try:
> >>
> >> $ rpm -qi synaptics
> >>
> >> That will tell you about the package. It may not be what you think it
> >> is.
> >>
> >> Paul.
> >> --
> >> Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
> >
> > It is the package I expect. However if I change the primary input device
> > (i.e. mouse0) in my xorg.conf file to use the synaptics driver via:
> >
> > Driver      "synaptics"
> >
> > then the mouse does not work at all however if I use :
> >
> > Driver      "mouse"
> >
> > then it works. This makes me suspect the synaptics driver is not loaded.
> >
> > Thoughts ?
>
> The synaptics driver should indicate its status in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
>
> Here are the relevant portions of my xorg.conf:
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>          Identifier     "Default Layout"
>          Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>          InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
>          InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
>          InputDevice    "Synaptics" "AlwaysCore"
> EndSection
>
> [...]
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>          Identifier  "Mouse0"
>          Driver      "mouse"
>          Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>          Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>          Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>          Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>          Identifier  "Synaptics"
>          Driver      "synaptics"
>          Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>          Option      "Protocol" "auto-dev"
>          Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
>          Option      "SHMConfig" "on"
> EndSection
>
> [...]
>
> That's how it was configured by a fresh install of FC4 (except for the
> SHMConfig option).  In theory, the touchpad (and pointing stick) and an
> external mouse should all function as expected.
>

> --
>  		Matthew Saltzman
>
> Clemson University Math Sciences
> mjs AT clemson DOT edu
> http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Thanks for the info..

Here's what I find now.
If I look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log after a fresh re-boot I see the following in
relation to the synaptics driver:

The driver gets loaded:

(II) LoadModule: "synaptics"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/synaptics_drv.o
(II) Module synaptics: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        compiled for 4.3.99.902, module version = 1.0.0
        Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
        ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.4

Then the  driver fails to find a valid device??

(**) Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
(**) Mouse0: Device: "/dev/input/mice"
(**) Mouse0: Protocol: "IMPS/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Mouse0: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
(**) Mouse0: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Mouse0: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Mouse0: Buttons: 5
(II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.13.5
Synaptics no synaptics event device found (checked 5 nodes)
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(**) Option "SHMConfig" "on"
Query no Synaptics: 6003C8
(EE) Synaptics no synaptics touchpad detected and no repeater device
(EE) Synaptics Unable to query/initialize Synaptics hardware.
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Synaptics"
(II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"
(**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
(**) Keyboard0: Core Keyboard

I've run the hardware browser and the system shows both the internal mouse
(the touchpad) and the external usb mouse as /dev/input/mice

Any ideas???