Archiving Data Permanently

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 23:38:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 17:21, Benjamin Franz wrote:

> I have two machines with 1.5TBytes of RAID5 (split into two seperate
> drives for performance reasons) . One is in the local office, the other in
> our colocation facility 90 miles away. Every day each machine backs up
> both the machines that are physically local and physically remote over the
> network using an in-house written Perl program using rsync over ssh
> (bandwidth restricted to use no more than about 1/2 of a T1 on remote
> backups), hardlinking and a Tower of Hanoi rotation scheme to keep 8
> daily, 5 weekly, 3 monthly and 2 quarterly images of every system.
>
> It is currently managing backups for around 20 servers total with roughly
> 900 GB of disk used for the backups. My rule of thumb for required space
> is that it uses a net of about 2 times the amount of storage I need for a
> single full backup image snapshop.

Backuppc (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/) would do this for you
without writing any code and using less space than a single full
backup, and give you a web interface to grab or restore files to boot.
Actually the space required will depend on how compressible the
files are and how many duplicates you have, but it is pretty
impressive.  And it can use tar or samba as the transfer method
as well as rsync.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com