Moving / mountpoint

Garry Harthill gazzerh at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 10:58:43 UTC 2005

> I'd suggest making the partition on the new disk the same size or bigger
> than the old root partition and then using "dd" to copy the actual
> partition across rather than mounting the filesystem and using a regular
> copy tool. This will ensure that an exact copy is made. You can then use
> resize2fs to expand the new root filesystem to fill its partition, and
> tune2fs to change the filesystem label - otherwise you'll have two
> filesystems labelled "/", which will confuse the kernel.

Is tune2fs nessercery if grub.conf is using "root=/dev/hdc2" and not
using a label. Also if I go with a file copy (cp -a for example) this
doesn't do anything with the labels so there wouldn't be a problem? Is
this correct?

I'm just trying to cover all bases and understand this a bit better. Sorry :)