FC4: Unnecessary network "noise"?

Antti J. Huhtala ahuhtal4 at welho.com
Thu Aug 18 09:12:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 18:48:10 +0100 Paul Howarth wrote:
On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 19:00 +0300, Antti J. Huhtala wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> [snip]
>
> "After installing FC4-x86_64 a few days ago, on July 1st Red Hat
Network
> wanted me to update lots of RPMs which I okayed. The packets seem to
> work OK, but now my box contacts RHN _once_every_minute_ obviously
> asking for new updates. What's the point? I should think once per day
> would be sufficient..."
>
> Later I've read RHN FAQs and checked /etc/sysconfig/rhn/rhnsd which
only
> says: INTERVAL=240
>
> If I'm not mistaken, this should mean my box connects to RHN every
four
> hours. However, I'm still connecting to RHN once every minute (I've
got
> Ethereal logs to prove it).
>
> So my question is: Why does my box connect to RHN all the time and
where
> is the parameter to change?

You don't need to run rhnsd at all. There is no Fedora channel on Red
Hat Network. up2date just uses regular yum repositories by default in
FC4.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>

Thanks for your reply, Paul, but it doesn't quite answer my question.
I'm not worried about updates as such. I run up2date every two weeks or
so, and it works fine - except that it complains about my "registration
not being active" and that there is no systemid file in
my /etc/sysconfig/rhn or anywhere else.
To be precise, my box connects to xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com with one minute
intervals. Assuming this is the server up2date utilises to fetch
updates, why must up2date request for updates so often? IMHO, this is
neither desirable nor necessary.
The configuration file for up2date in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date has a
line stating "updateUp2date=1" which roughly means "update whenever
possible". I suppose this is a Boolean "1" and not the interval of
update requests?

Antti