Setting up MTA

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Aug 18 14:43:29 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 08:27 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 07:15, Jonathan Allen wrote:
> > > You need to install the sendmail-cf package, read the configuration
> > > README and edit /etc/mail/sendmail.mc with your favourite editor.
> >
> > > Having said that, the default configuration works out of the box for
> > > many people.
>
> The default Fedora/RH configuration is intentionally broken so
> you can't receive mail from the network.  That can't work for
> anyone who runs their own server or even a relay from an
> inside net to their ISP's forwarder (that is, anyone who
> actually uses mail).

Anyone that wants to *receive* mail on that machine. Most people though
are end users who only want to send mail from their machines and will
collect it from somewhere else, such as their ISP. Having said that,
most of those people would want to set up a smarthost, but there's no
way of doing that in a suitable fashion for a package.

> > What would I have to insert in the snedmail.mc file to allow relaying
> > only from the machines in the internal network: 192.168.1.* ?
>
> Change:
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl
> in sendmail.mc
> and add
> 192.168.1    RELAY
> to /etc/mail/access.
> Then type 'make' in the /etc/mail directory, and restart sendmail.

Agreed.

The configuration README file I was referring to earlier
is /usr/share/sendmail-cf/README btw.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>