ClamAV and Sendmail on FC4

Justin Willmert justin at jdjlab.com
Thu Aug 18 17:36:53 UTC 2005

I need some assistance in setting up ClamAV for Sendmail on an FC4
system. First of all, when I try to find tutorials online, I find
everything for FC1 or FC2. When I looked in the extras directory at
redhat.com, it looks like ClamAV is available for FC4. It seems to have
been split up into more packages than the single rpm older versions
dealt with (If I understand this correctly, FC1 and FC2 didn't get their
rpms from RedHat, did they?). This is question number one: What packages
do I need to install?

Secondly, I tried to just install some of the packages and do what some
of the older tutorials told. For some reason, I can never get the milter
settings into sendmail.cf from sendmail.mc. Here is what I've got in
sendmail.mc:

     INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`clamav',
`S=local:/var/run/clamav-milter/clamav.sock, F=, T=S:4m;R:4m')dnl

After I put that in, I execute make to recompile sendmail.cf. This is my
second question: As I understand it, Fedora packaged releases of
Sendmail contain milter capabilites, so why aren't these settings being
reflected in sendmail.cf?

My third question is a simple one: Should I use the RedHat rpms, or
should I find a different rpm from some other source (say rpmfind or
dag, etc.)?

And my last question (and maybe the most obvious): Is there a good
tutorial out there somewhere that describes this for FC4 and Sendmail
(I've found plenty for FC4 with Postfix, but that doesn't help me any)?

Thanks for all of the help in advance,
Justin Willmert