ClamAV and Sendmail on FC4

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Aug 18 23:31:13 UTC 2005

Am Do, den 18.08.2005 schrieb Justin Willmert um 23:29:

> Well, after playing around for a while (with versions from Redhat and
> Crash-Hat), I've finally gotten ClamAV (from Redhat) to work with
> sendmail, but I'm not really happy with the solution. As it is, I have
> to manually edit sendmail.cf and add in the InputMailFilter settings. It
> seems that the INPUT_MAIL_FILTER macro for sendmail.mc is not working
> correctly. Here is part of my sendmail.mc:

It works correctly, I am pretty sure.

>      INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`clamav',
> `S=local:/var/run/clamav-milter/clamav.sock, F=, T=S:4m;R:4m')dnl

Where do you place that line inside /etc/mail/sendmail.mc? The location
matters. Place it right after the last "define" statement. The line
itself is proper.

>      define(`confINPUT_MAIL_FILTERS', `clamav')dnl

That line isn't necessary.

> Now from what I've figured out so far, the 'define...' line puts
> something like this into sendmail.cf:
>
>      O InputMailFilter=clamav

Yes, and whatever milters you include in your setup, Sendmail will only
use the one called clamav.

> And from what I've gathered from scowering through a bunch of websites,
> the 'INPUT_MAIL_FILTER...' line should output this right after the line
> above:
>
>      Xclamav, S=local:/var/run/clamav-milter/clamav.sock, F=, T=S:4m;R:4m
>
> ...but it doesn't. This is the part I'm not happy about. If I ever make
> a change to sendmail.mc and recompile sendmail.cf, I'm going to have to
> go in and add this line again. Could somebody point out why this is not
> working as it is expected to?

Yes, editing the sendmail.cf is bad, exactly from the reason you mention
(and some others).
Be sure you have the rpm sendmail-cf installed. Else you can't create a
new sendmail.cf file from sendmail.mc modified. "make -C /etc/mail"
would show you an error then even.

> Justin

Alexander

Serendipity 01:24:46 up 10 days, 11:14, load average: 0.15, 0.27, 0.31