Bugs in new kernels

John Wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 19 15:33:19 UTC 2005

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> taso wrote:
>

>>If you like life right on the bleeding egde it is helpful to everyone if
>>you submit bug reports - the sooner they are documented and investigated
>>the sooner they get fixed.
>

> It's absurd to describe Fedora-4 as "bleeding edge".
>
> I have quite a lot of sympathy with the OP
> (though he could have described his problem more precisely).
> Whoever is responsible for new Fedora kernels
> tries to do far too much,
> adding entirely unnecessary "improvements" to grub.conf .
>
> It would be much better if he/she just installed the kernel
> in the standard way with "make install",
> and left it as an extra option for grub.
>
> Actually, I don't understand why people find the Fedora kernels
> so attractive.
> They are rarely any improvement on the standard kernels
> from http://www.kernel.org .

I've posted about this before, without any replies, so here I go again ...

I have been unable to get a kernel.org kernel to run correctly on FC4.
The same kernel configuration works fine on FC3. The last kernel I tried
was 2.6.12.5.

I'd appreciate any tips you might have for getting a stock kernel running.

Thanks,

John