FC4 Raid 10 Adaptec 7902

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Aug 19 23:16:19 UTC 2005

Jim Rice writes:

> This from SuperMicro:
>
> http://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/OS/E7520Compatibility.cfm
>
> So, I can have Redhat 8 or 9 but not Fedora Core 4?

Yup.  That's because you get a binary-only kernel module that's only built
for those specific kernels.

> Surely there must be support for the HostRaid AIC 7902.
> Dell supports the 7920.

More than likely for only specific version of Red Hat, because they also
give you a binary-only kernel module that's only built for specific kernel
versions only.

> Does anyone have an installer I can borrow?

Unless you run a supported kernel version, the installer will do squat for
you.

> What's the point of having a dual channel scsi raid controller at 320
> MB/sec if you turn it off and use software raid?

There is no point.  Go bitch at Adaptec until they release FOSS drivers for
their Hostraid cards.