Linux support for Integrated Intel® Media Accelerator 900 Graphics

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Sat Aug 20 03:45:10 UTC 2005

Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Craig White wrote:
> I'm currently running a recent snapshot of the driver for the chipset.
>
> support for it is not very good in a released version of xorg.

i'd appreciate if you could clarify what issues in particular exist?

> dma doesn't work on the cdrom without some minor kernel hacking,
> without it, dvd's are basically unplayable.

Did you have to install a vanilla kernel, or just use hdparm or
something in an rc file?

> if you want decent opengl performance for games you really need an
> nvidia or ati chipset with dedicated memory. I find it to be an
> acceptable laptop for business use, particularly because what I really
> wanted was a 1920x1200 display.

Well, i just want it to be able to play the games that come w/ Linux
distros, like w/ Fedora. Nothing special. Can an FC3/FC4 install handle
that with this graphics card?

>> ----
>> don't know but I would spend the additional $7 and get the WinXP backup
>> CD disk just in case you want to sell it.
>>
>> Craig

Thanks all.