FC2 Upgrade to RHEL 4?

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 20 13:41:16 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Is it reasonable to go from FC2 to RHEL 4?
>
> Is it reasonable to expect being able to upgrade as opposed to
> backup/install clean/reload?

I think everyone's been answering your second question (correctly: no,
it's not reasonable).

Doing a fresh install will be supported, and the Best Way to do it. And
it shouldn't be too involved.

I'd keep a copy of the old /etc somewhere accessible, so you can compare
old and new settings. I'd also keep a copy of the output of rpm -qa and
something like
rpm -qa --qf '%{NAME}.%{VENDOR}\n' | grep -v "Red Hat, Inc"
to see which third-party RPMs you've installed.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james |    "Just for once, I wish we would encounter an
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets..."