SuperMicro 5013

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Sat Aug 20 15:41:49 UTC 2005

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, John Rowan wrote:

> When I boot the system it displays
>
> Phoenix - Award BIOS V6.00PG
> SuperMicro P4SCA/P4SCE BIOS 1.3A

yeah it's a p4sca or p4sce, thats consistent with everything else.

> On the bottom of the initial screen on left side it says
> 4/14/2005 - Canterwood - 6A79BSX9C-00

canterwood is intel 7210 chipset.

> Pressing CTRL-I brings up the screen to configure the level of RAID (0 or 1)
> On top of that screen it says Intel RAID for Serial ATA V3.5.0.3003
>
> The front of the case says SuperMicro but on the top (slide off) cover it
> says Visionman.  I've been to both SuperMicro.com and Visionman.com web sites
> but neither has a Linux driver for Intel.  They have drivers they say are for
> RH 9 with specific kernel versions but neither of those work.
> I don't understand why the Fedora Core 4 installation (which recognized the
> RAID controller and loaded the correct driver) failed to boot after it said
> the installation was complete.

Are you raiding the disks in the bios? If you are you shouldn't do that,
it's a software raid controller. Rather you use linux software raid for
that purpose.

Fedora core 4 does recognize the ich5r as a sata controller, but not as a
raid controller, so your the bios is probably pointing at a raid device
that doesn't really exist without some driver glue.

>  I'm in the process of installing FC4 for the
> fifth time now to see if there is some way to salvage this hardware.

I've got a couple p4sci's out in the field running fc3, the only reall
difference between those and these is 64 bit pci slots.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu