Linux notebooks by Hewlett-Packard

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Tue Aug 23 04:49:49 UTC 2005

Marc M wrote:

> FWIW I was a member of Silicon Valley LUG a couple of years ago, and
> at one of their installfests someone came in with an HP laptop.   We
> tried and tried to get ANY linux to run on there but were unsuccessful
> with RH, SuSE, and even Gentoo.  Things might've changed but I am
> sticking with a Thinkpad when I get one, IBM has been creating
> linux-friendly hardware for quite awhile.  My .02
>

> Marc

Btw., i'm currently using Compaq R3000, and everything works, more or
less. I did have to use ndiswrapper for wireless, and wait for FC3
before my sound started working. Other than that, except the the
built-in modem, and the fact that i can't turn off/on wireless using the
hardware (have to do it from UI or command line) everything works.
Desktop sounds on Gnome are a little weird, but that's probably a gnome
thing. KDE sounds, and movies, and music play just fine.