Partitioning problem with windows vs. linux

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Wed Aug 31 16:38:53 UTC 2005

At 11:37 AM -0400 8/31/05, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
>Greetings all,
>I have an odd problem happening that I have experienced on a Fedora Core
>install in the past and in recent history also.
>
>Background:
>When I try to set up a dual-boot w2k+linux system (resizing w2k
>partition and filesystem, verifying w2k is happy after resize,
>installing FC), w2k is not happy sometimes on some systems. It will
>start to boot, switch to its more graphical starting windows boot
>screen, get halfway though and then blue screen [1] with a
>BOOT_INACCESSABLE error advising me to do a chkdsk /f and giving me no
>means of doing so. The recovery console on the install media doesn't
>seem to do the trick on this system (Dell GX280 with a SATA drive)
>either. [2]
>
>Specifics:
>I have narrowed down the problem to w2k not liking me simply adding
>extra partitions to the disk.[3] I boot to Knoppix and use fdisk to add
>some partitions (to try avoid the "anaconda changing the CHS values in
>the partition table with a buggy bios" issue) but as soon as I do, w2k
>becomes unhappy. I can subsequently remove the partitions and w2k is
>content again and boots normally.[4]

You don't say if you have any Extended partitions on the drive.  If you do,
your extended partitions will get their number bumped up when you add new
Basic partitions, so you will need to renumber them in boot.ini.  Umm, by
using FIXBOOT in the Recovery Console?  (You say Recovery Console doesn't
work, but you don't say what you tried in it.  On its own, it just sits
there and does nothing.)