What does FC4.ppc use the iBook's little front light for??

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Wed Aug 31 19:05:12 UTC 2005

There's a little round white light on the front of my G3 iBook, below
the keyboard, not even visible when it's off, that blinks about twice a
second, and makes some small noise as it does -- not noticeable across the
room, but *very* insistent if you're sitting at the machine. So much so,
in fact, that I imagine it has to be some sort of alarm.

Apparently different OSs put this light to different uses; I'm told Ubuntu
made it indicate hard drive activity -- and had to change that posthaste,
because there was a roaring chorus of complaints.

So what is Fedora trying to tell me? And why is it so intense about it?
(If it's anything less than that the machine is about to self-destruct,
physically, and maybe take me with it, I urge that it be changed.)

--
Beartooth Oldfart, Neo-Redneck, Linux Convert
FC4; Pine 4.63, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3;