howto disable floppy drive

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Aug 31 23:12:09 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 14:39 +0200, Roberto Felloni wrote:
> I have a big problem on boot.
> My server, after runs services, before graphical login,
> show me black screen, led of hdd turn off, and make nothing
> until 3-5 minutes ...
> and I don't understand what's happen !!!
>
> On messages log there are some lines than executes their job employing
> 3 or 5 minutes.

Show us the logs, Both dmesg and the relevant portions of
/var/log/messages that are related to the boot so we can see what is
happening.

What is the last message on the console before the screen goes black?
That may point us to the area of the startup process where this delay is
occurring.

Mine sometimes may hang for a minute or two at the point of enabling
swap.  When that happens I can usually power down and restart and it
then comes up immediately without the hang.  I have even done a 'mkswap'
command on the swap partition and that has fixed it at times.  It seems
that shutting down may sometimes leave the swap partition dirty or
corrupted and the startup sees that and has to resolve the issue before
it can continue.

I do not believe this has anything to do with the creation of the mount
point for the floppy, cdrom, etc.  There is likely something else at the
heart of this delay.