Programming the shutdown time

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Aug 31 23:26:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 16:19 -0400, Matt Morgan wrote:
> On 8/31/05, Matt Morgan <minxmertzmomo at gmail.com> wrote:
>         On 8/31/05, Paul Smith <phhs80 at gmail.com> wrote:
>                 Dear All
>
>                 I am looking for the best way of programming the
>                 (automatic) shutdown
>                 time of  my computer. Any ideas?
>
>                 Thanks in advance,
>
>                 Paul
>
>                 --
>

>         man cron
>
>         if you want it to happen at regular intervals, or
>
>         man at
>
>         if you want it to happen once, at a specific time.
>
> and I should have added, I don't think it's a great idea to do it in
> cron, especially if you're also running anacron. I don't really have
> any experience with this, though.

anacron would have no affect on getting a clean shutdown. It is called
by cron in the daily, weekly, and monthly processing but has nothing to
do with shutting down.

To automate a shutdown cron is the best place if you intend to have it
shutdown at the same time every (day, week, etc).  If you want it to be
a little more flexible then a script with some intelligence can be
called by cron to control it.

You can even set up the power control to shutdown/hibernate/suspend for
you.