Please help me--a problem about compiling kernel

Leo lionheart955 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 1 04:25:32 UTC 2005

Hi, everyone. I have installed F.C.3 on VMware successfully. Now I want to
compile my own kernel-2.6.10. I have tried many times. At first, I could
compile and install it successfully but could not boot from it, I guess I
missed something. Sometime when I compile the kernel, it displayed no enough
space, so I add a new IDE harddisk (emulated by VMware), mount it and it
works well. But I can not compile kernel now. When I run "make
modules_install", after many lines "INSTALL ******", it will stop at the
line "if -r System.map  if" (sorry I can not remember the detail clearly),
and the OS becomes no responding, I have to reboot it.
If I skip "make modules_install", just "make install", it is the same
result.
I have tried to re-install FC3, the problem is still there.
Please tell me what's up? How to fix it? Thanks.

My harddisk config:
/dev/hda1            ext3           /        4.0G
/dev/hdb1            ext3           /usr     3.9G
/dev/hdb2            swap                    0.1G