openoffice install

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Mon Aug 1 09:21:46 UTC 2005

Am Montag, den 01.08.2005, 10:10 +0200 schrieb brouwers roland lx:
> > > When i installed the package with ./setup, I received the following
> > > message:

> > > What does this mean?

As Alexander told you it is *not* a problem with openoffice, but with
your X configuration. The problem is that a program which is started
from a terminal window, can not connect to the X server in order to
establish a GUI.

If you use a standard Fedora installation, the X server is configured
for such a connection ( with SuSE/Novell it is a bit different). So you
must have changed your X configuration, perhaps you or the VNC
installation program inserted a display environement variable and
perhaps changed the X server's configuration furthermore.

You can try the following:

a) open a terminal window and su - to get root permission

b) type:  export DISPLAY=:0.0
   (this should change the display env veriable temporarily)

c) use this window to start the setup

It it doesn't work, you should make an installation on another computer
where you didn't alter the X system. Install OO into a arbitrary
directory of its own, e.g. /opt/openoffice. Then make a tar file from
the installation:

cd  /opt/openoffice
tar czvf ../ooo.tgz  ./*

you will find the tar in the /opt directory

transfer the tar to the computer where you will use OO, you may put it
into a directory unter /opt

As root you can cd to /usr/lib/ooo-1.1 on your fedora box an issue an
   rm -rf *
to erase your oo installation as distributed by fedory.

then:
   tar  xzvf /opt/ooo.tgz  ./
in that directory. Your OO made by OpenOffice will be installed at the
same location as the (modified) fedora version.

change in the file /usr/bin/ooffice
the line
   my $Version = '1.1.3';
   my $Version = '1.1.4';

and in your home directory the file
  .sversionrc

the caracters
  OpenOffice.org 1.1.3=
  OpenOffice.org 1.1.4=

In this way you can use the original openoffice version in the same way
as the fedora version  (all icons, menues, default application, etc.
work) Of course you will miss the gnome extensions (e.g. evolution
address book access).

> It seems that OOo is not a beloved child for this community, because I
> am asking questions about it for weeks, and mostly don't receive any
> answer or a very short, unclear one.

Well, OOo *is* a beloved child. May be list members didn't understand
your question(s) /wording.  OOo is the innocent here.

> I think that promoting linux is not only working on the server but also
> on the workstations, in my case with VNC. It is hard to talk people into
> leaving Microsoft, changing to Linux. But when there are to many
> installation problems they for sure will make a step back.

We all know that, don't hesitate. :-) And we know that the "easy
installation and maintenance" of a windows system is one of the most
wide spread mythology over the world.

> I am just trying to deinstall OOo and reinstall the version of sun. But
> even this is not possible.

OK, try my step by step instructions above. It works for me for months
now.

Peter