FC3 -> FC4 Fresh install, keeping /home - DONE

David Niemi drn_temp2 at rogers.com
Mon Aug 1 10:25:25 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 23:15 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Tony Nelson wrote:

> > Also back up /etc.  You might need it if settings get munged, to have
> > something to compare with.
> >
> > There's probably some other important directories, but I haven't done this
> > yet myself, so I don't have the benefit of (harsh) experience.
>
> /var/spool/mail if you receive mail on the machine.  /var/spool/mqueue if
> your outgoing mail queue hasn't been cleared.  Possibly some other /var
> subdirs, but check them and consider which ones have info about services
> you use.

Thanks for all the responses, and sorry that I haven't followed up.  I
kept /etc and /home copying the directories to 2 other partitions that I
wasn't going to touch using the "cp -p -r" to ensure I kept the
ownerships and permissions. there was nothing really in the /var/spool
or other directories that I couldn't live without.

due to other issues with the system I reformatted /home and after
recreating the user I copied back the required files and directories as
the user BEFORE running anything.  I first tried it as root dragging and
dropping the files but the ownerships and permissions changed, silly me.