VNC problem

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 1 11:46:14 UTC 2005

From: "John Aldrich" <john at chattanooga.net>

> On Sunday 31 July 2005 09:15 pm, bruce wrote:
> > john...
> >
> > when you're logged in as the user 'root' and as the user who created the
> > vncservice... what do you get when you're in the 'home' dir and you do a
> > ls -al .. do you see a '.vnc' folder...
> >
> yes
> > what do you see when you continue to look at the various leafs/child
dirs
> > undeer the .vnc dir..
> >
> [root at slave1 .vnc]# ls -al
> total 60
> drwxrwxr-x    2 john john  4096 Jul 31 15:47 .
> drwx------  130 john  501 40960 Jul 31 21:15 ..
> -rw-------    1 john john     8 Nov 14  2004 passwd
> -rw-rw-r--    1 john john  4234 Jul 31 15:47 slave1:2.log
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 john  501    82 Jan  9  2003 xstartup
> [root at slave1 .vnc]#
>
> Just did it as root to ensure that I could see everything....

Run "ps awx|grep vnc". That will give you one or more PIDs. Pick one
that appears to be the lost pid and "kill -9" the process. Or you could
attempt to recreate the lock and see if there is a way to attach to that
session. But I have my doubts. At least you'll end up knowing its pid,
which is more than you seem to know now.

{^_^}