More and more yum dependency problems

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Aug 1 13:02:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 14:53 +0200, Harald Grossauer wrote:

> >What's the output of:
> >
> >$ rpm -q --qf '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}\n'
> >openoffice.org-core openoffice.org-pyuno mozilla mozilla-nss
> >mozilla-nspr libtool gcc
> >

> openoffice.org-core-1.9.104-2.i386
> openoffice.org-pyuno-1.9.104-2.i386
> mozilla-1.7.8-2.x86_64
> mozilla-1.7.8-2.i386
> mozilla-nss-1.7.8-2.x86_64
> mozilla-nss-1.7.8-2.i386
> mozilla-nspr-1.7.8-2.x86_64
> mozilla-nspr-1.7.8-2.i386
> libtool-1.5.18-2.x86_64
> gcc-4.0.0-9.x86_64
>
> You' right! Don't know where they come from. I have always used yum (and
> only yum) to install packages.
>
> May I safely "yum remove" all the i386 packages?

I think the i386 mozilla packages are supposed to be there on x86_64, so
that you can use 32-bit plugins etc. However, if you don't use such
plugins then it should be safe to remove them.

The openoffice.org packages are always i386 versions as I believe it
won't actually build properly on x86_64.

Try installing the updates for non-problematic packages first so that
the amount of work yum needs to do is smaller (and it produces less
output) and then we can try again with more debugging output for the
remaining packages.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>