Slightly OT: Firewire drives - daisy chain or hub?

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Mon Aug 1 13:26:37 UTC 2005

This is perhaps a little off-topic, but maybe not too much so as the
answer might depend on how Linux and FC3 handle Firewire. I need to copy
large (~80GB) amounts of data from one external Firewire/IEEE-1394 hard
disk drive to another. My machine only has one Firewire port. One of the
drives has a Firewire port on the back, so it is possible to daisy chain
the disks together. Alternatively I could go out and buy a fairly
inexpensive powered Firewire hub and connect the two drives to that.

Are there pros and cons to these two methods that I should be aware of?
Is one preferable to the other?

TIA.

Best, Darren