I think I need a sound/ALSA guru.

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Aug 1 14:52:44 UTC 2005

Am Mo, den 01.08.2005 schrieb William Case um 16:09:

> I have posted here a couple of times with sound problems and received no
> reply.  I may be wrong but I think my sound problems are basically

That isn't really true - Bob Chiodini answered you on 22th July.

> installation problems and I also think they are 2 or 3 different
> problems intermixed.  I have been working on this problem for over 6
> weeks and don't seem to be any closer to a solution than when I started.

To repeat information from fist posting: we are talking about an Fedora
Core 4 system.

> My problems are:
> 1) My event sounds all have scratchy or hissy backgrounds
> 2) My /dev/*(sound) permissions seem all screwed up

You have to be specific about this. List the permissions.

ls -al /dev/dsp* /dev/audio* /dev/mixer*

> 3) All the modules seem to be there (except one for synthesizer?? --
> which is required in WindowsXP)

Please show us the list of loaded modules.

> 4) Most but not all of my sound programs can't find my sound card.

Which programs are that? Do they work with ALSA or do they need OSS
emulation by ALSA?

> 5) tvtime switches to 'line-in' even though it is set for PCM.

I don't use tvtime. How do you face the switch?

> 6) system-config-soundcard plays the test sample but has the worst
> distortion of all.
> 7) and more and more .....

and more questions ...

> I have googled, checked the ALSA site, checked all the Fedora (including
> bugzilla) and Linux sites I can find.  I have noticed several posted
> ALSA problems similar to mine but seldom any posted solutions.
>
> I have reams of data from lsmode, /dev/*, /proc/, PAM, /boot/config-2.6
> etc. that I will share if anyone thinks they can help.

As long as you use Fedora Core 4 and no custom kernel or anything else
not shipped with Fedora we don't need a kernel configuration file or PAM
data.
You have a fully up to date FC4 with all updates installed?

> I am using P4 on a Intel 82850 motherboard, Ensoniq 5889 AudioPCI sound
> card using the snd_ens1371 driver and an ATI TV Wonder tuner. Also
> listed is Brooktree Bt878 video capture and Bt878 audio capture. My
> Linux is Fedora Core 4.

/sbin/lspci and /sbin/lsmod output would be good to see.

> Regards Bill

Alexander

Serendipity 16:35:51 up 16 days, 21:08, load average: 0.05, 0.11, 0.09