FC4 can't boot after updates

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Aug 1 15:44:58 UTC 2005

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Claude Jones wrote:

> On Mon August 1 2005 7:14 am, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Claude Jones wrote:
>>> A friend has just been possibly bit by the bug that emerged after a
>>> recent kernel update. I read Thomas Chung's piece in the recent
>>> FedoraNews about this, but he stresses that the workaround of running
>>> Kudzu to fix modprobe.conf has to occur  BEFORE the kernel update. Has
>>> anyone been able to fix a  system after the fact?
>>
>> You still have the old kernel.  When you see the startup splash screen on
>> bootup, press a key.  That takes you to a menu of kernels.  Choose the
>> second-most recent option.
>>
>> Then rpm -e the new kernel, run kudzu, and reinstall the new kernel.
>>

> Thanks, Matthew. I thought of the same thing, although I'd suggested he
> try to boot into a previous kernel. His problem is that the boot gets
> stuck right before the blue splash screen, when the word "grub" briefly
> flashes in the upper left hand corner of the screen - right at that
> point, his machine just stops. Any other suggestions?

*Before* the first splash screen?  Then apparently GRUB is hosed.  So I
would try:

(1) Boot from Rescue CD.  It will find your installation and offer to
mount it under /mnt/sysimage.  Mount it r/w.

(2) chroot /mnt/sysimage

(3) rpm -e the newest kernel.  Verify that /etc/grub.conf makes sense.

(4) Reboot into the latest still-installed kernel.

(5) Run kudzu, then update the kernel again.

If (4) fails, post your /etc/grub.conf (you can read it if you carry out
(1)-(3) again).

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences