won't boot off iso cd

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Aug 1 16:10:40 UTC 2005

Am Mo, den 01.08.2005 schrieb Anne Ramey um 17:47:

> I updated to 2.6.12 kernel without updating something else necessary,
> apparently and have hosed my system.  The real problem is that it won't
> boot of disk.  We had 2 64 bit systems have the kernel problem and the
> other is back up and running fine.  The only disk I can get the second
> system to boot is off a 386 iso, which causes problems when I try and do
> anything (including chroot /mnt/sysimage) so I can't really rescue the
> system.  I'd be ok with reinstalling, because I was just doing the
> initial system set-up anyway, but I can't figure out how to do that
> without being able to boot off a cd.  The instructions I've found from
> booting from the network start with--boot from an iso cd (not helpful).

> Anne

How did you initially install the machine in question? At that time it
booted from your CD but now after a kernel update it does not any
longer? Please provide hardware information, especially about the
controller (IDE / SCSI) and what else might be important.

Alexander

Serendipity 18:09:13 up 16 days, 22:41, load average: 0.12, 0.17, 0.23