won't boot off iso cd

Anne Ramey anner at blast.com
Mon Aug 1 17:27:28 UTC 2005

T. Horsnell wrote:
>>Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>>>How did you initially install the machine in question? At that time it
>>>booted from your CD but now after a kernel update it does not any
>>>longer? Please provide hardware information, especially about the
>>>controller (IDE / SCSI) and what else might be important.
>>>
>>>Alexander
>>>

>>The machine came with fedora 3 (kernel 2.6.10) installed, so I guess it
>>did boot from 64 bit CD at one point, but I never did it.
>>Hardware RAID: 8-Ch 3Ware SATA 9500S-8 w/ battery
>>IDE Devices:  hda: QSI CD-RW/DVD-ROM SBW242C
>>SCSI Devices:  AMCC 9500S-8 DISK (Direct-Access)
>>
>>This is the system info for the system that did come back up:
>>http://daredevil.blast.com/sys/
>>The only differences between the two are disk size and sw/hw raid.
>>Daredevil has software raid, the dead one has hw raid.
>>
>>Anne
>

> When you say it 'wont boot off CD', what sort of error msg do
> you get? Is your BIOS config'd to boot from CD as the first choice,
> or is the box still actually trying to boot from your raid system?
>
> Cheers,
> Terry.

Yes, BIOS is set to boot of CD.  It asks me to choose another boot
method or insert bootable media.  As I mentioned, it just doesn't work
for 64 bit iso, a friend's 386 iso boots, but doesn't allow me to rescue
the system because of the incompatibility.  This same 64 bit iso disk
rescued my other 64 bit system.  I even made another copy, thinking it
had somehow turned into a coaster in between systems.  No luck.

Anne