Constructive critisism; room for improvement:

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 1 18:02:45 UTC 2005

Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 12:03 -0400, Jim wrote:
>
>>Andy Pieters wrote:

[that he had a problem with a CD causing a hang]

> This has been mentioned here on the list, and the one thing I have seen
> repeated is the copy-protection theme.
>
> The fix has been to avoid copy-protected CDs.  Works every time.  Any CD
> that trashes my PC will quickly become part of the land fill after I
> complain to the vendor and make him take it back and give me a different
> one. They often don't even play in a standard CD player, which is what
> triggers the replacement with a different one.

Emphatically, this is not a fix. I agree with boycotting
copy-protected CDs. I disagree that anyone should put up
with an OS that craters when it encounters a bad DATA DISC.

Would you put up with this in your autombile? You are driving
along on a hiway, and encounter an oil slick on the road.
Suddenly, you cannot use either your accelerator or brakes.
"Well, just don't drive on oil slicks!" is *not* an answer.

Mike