More and more yum dependency problems

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Aug 1 20:47:47 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 09:48 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Harald Grossauer wrote:
>
> > Running "yum update" for the first time in almost four weeks, I get the
> > following errors:
> >
> > Error: Missing Dependency: gcc = 4.0.0 is needed by package libtool
> > Error: Missing Dependency: openoffice.org-core = 1:1.9.104-2 is needed
> > by package openoffice.org-pyuno
> > Error: Unable to satisfy dependencies
> > Error: Package mozilla needs mozilla-nss = 37:1.7.8-2, this is not
> > available.
> > Error: Package mozilla needs mozilla-nspr = 37:1.7.8-2, this is not
> > available.
> > Error: Package libtool needs gcc = 4.0.0, this is not available.
> > Error: Package openoffice.org-pyuno needs openoffice.org-core =
> > 1:1.9.104-2, this is not available.

I had this happen a few times.
It was fixed by one of 2 things (depending upon the cause).
1) If the mirror being used is out of sync, wait a while (sometimes 1 -
2 days) for them to resync and try again.

2) Verify the package that it is complaining about then
check  /var/log/yum.log to find out when and from what repo that package
was installed.  Sometimes I use certain repos only for specific packages
and updates may break the dependencies there.  Enable the repo again to
do the update usually solves that.