Our (US) $s at work.

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Aug 2 03:27:53 UTC 2005

Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>> Not possible. The length of the year is not a simple multiple of the
>> length of a day. Furthermore, the length of the day is not constant.
>

> Lots of smart people think about time. There's no particular
> relationship between the solar day the lunar month and the earth year.
> our calender is essentially aribitary except for some convenient hacks
> that keep astronomical phenomena is sync with our arbitary calendar.
> we now have the ability to tell time using clocks fixed to physical
> constants, but that hasn't really informed on the arbitrary calendar yet.
>
> Just another idiot on the bus...
> joelja

I found that out after making the comment about 28 days for the moon
cycle. The bad thing is that there is output on the net where the moon
cycles in 29.x days. Anyway, the thread lead to investigating what
notions were approximated during "science" in schools and assumptions
made from the twilight zone.

Jim

--
Graduate life: It's not just a job.  It's an indenture.