Newbie: Writing console messages to a file FC2 2.6.5

Clive at Rational clive at rational-communications.com
Tue Aug 2 11:09:50 UTC 2005

Hello,

    I have an unreliable FC2 / 2.6.5 kernel machine. I
am running it as a file server. From time to time the
machine "hangs" or puts out lots of messages of the
form

<+0x0nnnnnnn> ... debug info ...

   I am guessing these are kernel error messages. I
want to capture these messages so I can post them when
an error occurs. At the moment the messages are not
written to any file that I can find - so I can't
retreive them, then post them once I restart the
machine.

   Now the reading I have done has got me as far this
this .....

  The kernel messages are directed to the console
because of the following setting

/etc/syslog.conf
# Log all kernel messages to the console.
# Logging much else clutters up the screen.
kern.*	/dev/console

   My question is

Can I change this to
# Log all kernel messages to the console.
# Logging much else clutters up the screen.
kern.*	/syslog/CRLconsolelog

So all messages are written to a file?

Can I get the messages written to BOTH a file and the
console at the same time?

Will this capture ALL Error messages that appear at
the console?

What happens if the machine goes into a loop - I don't
realise - and eventually the file fills the whole
disk? Will I then be able to restart Linux?

Anyway of cycling this "kernel/console message" log
file automatically?

Thanks

Clive