I think I need a sound/ALSA guru.

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Aug 2 11:33:24 UTC 2005

William Case wrote:

> I can't figure out if I am doing something so stupid that no one can
> bother replying, or because no one else knows what I am talking about or
> because I am asking in the wrong place?  A reply to this last question
> alone would be a big help

I think you are asking in the right place.
But I have great sympathy with you;
ALSA is a complete mystery to me.
Some days sound works on my laptop;
some days - today for example - it does not.

As will be obvious, I am no sound expert -
but what sound settings do you have in /etc/modprobe.conf ,
and what sound modules are in use as shown in lsmod ?
Have you googled to see what module people with your sound card use?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366