Please help me--a problem about compiling kernel

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Aug 2 11:40:57 UTC 2005

Leo wrote:

> Hi, everyone. I have installed F.C.3 on VMware successfully. Now I want to
> compile my own kernel-2.6.10. I have tried many times. At first, I could
> compile and install it successfully but could not boot from it, I guess I
> missed something. Sometime when I compile the kernel, it displayed no
> enough space, so I add a new IDE harddisk (emulated by VMware), mount it
> and it works well. But I can not compile kernel now. When I run "make
> modules_install", after many lines "INSTALL ******", it will stop at the
> line "if -r System.map  if" (sorry I can not remember the detail clearly),
> and the OS becomes no responding, I have to reboot it.
> If I skip "make modules_install", just "make install", it is the same
> result.
> I have tried to re-install FC3, the problem is still there.
> Please tell me what's up? How to fix it? Thanks.
>
> My harddisk config:
> /dev/hda1            ext3           /        4.0G
> /dev/hdb1            ext3           /usr     3.9G
> /dev/hdb2            swap                    0.1G

It sounds to me that you are doing the right thing, in principle.

Why not "make mrproper" and start again.
(Maybe save .config first.)
Are you running out of space during the compilation?

Basically, all you need to do is "make xconfig" (or "make menuconfig"),
"make", "make modules_install" and "make install"
(the last two as root).

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366